Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Snowmageddan"

my goodness, gracious, alive.
y'all.
What in the world has happened here in the South?
Thankfully, I decided to head home from my studio yesterday around 11:00 a.m.
At 12 it started snowing.
Just a little snow!  No big deal!
Got a pic from daughter in Birmingham of all the kids playing in the snow.
Yippee!!!  Snow day!
Everyone was excited!
S-K-R-E-A-C-H!
Hold on a minute!
Not so fast.
Motha Nature had to pull a fast one on us down here in the South.

I know, I know, people down here don't know how to drive in the snow.

Well, that is a very true statement.
However.
No one in this world could drive in this stuff.
People are stranded EVERYWHERE!
this was the interstate this morning at 5 a.m.
These people have been in their cars since 6 p.m. last night.
"the south is a blanket of ice"
Birmingham was particularly horrible yesterday.
Thankfully both my girls and my grandchildren were safe at home.
The young men in my life not so fortunate.
My son in law was working in Pell City yesterday.
He and two co-workers decided to head back to Birmingham yesterday morning.
They came to a dead stop on I - 20 around 11 a.m.
At 7 p.m. last night I got a frantic call from my daughter saying that they were still stuck in the same place.
After putting a message for help for them on Facebook, all these wonderful people came to their rescue!
We were told that shelters had been opened at different locations and buses were picking folks up off the exits.
They walked 2 miles in sub-freezing temps to the exit.
So, SIL and co-workers spent the night in a shelter last night.
Some folks weren't so fortunate.
My son ditched his car and walked 3 miles home in sub-freezing temps last night.
My future SIL spent the night at his office.

I am buying everyone I know an external battery charger for their phones.

Well.  I will tell you though, through all of this I have never seen such generosity!
People everywhere are opening their homes to stranded motorist.
FB was going crazy with offers to help folks!
I love this!
The outpouring of love.
That is what the south is all about!




 I ate my way through this storm....
this is Birmingham where people just left their cars.

have a wonderful day y'all!
and
stay warm
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment