Wednesday, September 18, 2019

What it Takes to "do" Roundtop!

Lisa and I get asked this ALL THE TIME!
First it starts out as
"OH, I want to show at Roundtop"!
"What's it like?"
"What does it take?"
"How much does it cost?"
Well.
I'm not going to sugar coat this for anyone interested in showing their art or anything else at a show like this.

it's. hard.
it's. hot.
it's. exhausting.
it's. uncomfortable at times.

But....it's also THE MOST FUN YOU'LL EVER HAVE!
and you will meet the greatest new friends!
Randolf Duke "The House of Halston" and most fun person ever.

talk about some fun chicks! One of our karaoke nights. One of many.

my new BFF

We met these two at the Mexican restaurant and they became clients!
They are from LA

When in Texas, you become a Texan.

Lisa and Tom - have I mentioned that Texas has THE best margaritas?
They are also THE STRONGEST.

dog lover

a lot of really well known designers in one of Pandora's beds.

Now, here is how it goes.
First, you have to find a venue that fits you.
There are 100s of venues.  The best thing to do is go to the spring or fall show and look at all the spaces.  Roundtop is a town of 90 that turns into something like 250,000 during the shows.
And, every season a new venue pops up. 
And, they have to accept you.  You have to be the right fit.
Many venues only want x amount of art, x amount of furniture.
They are however always looking for the newest, greatest, unique things.
So, if you've designed or created something new and great - give me a shout and I can help you.
kbdr@aol.com

Second, you have to be resilient.
Our first season out there we were SO green.
Like as in 50 shades of green.
We had no clue what we were getting in to.  All we knew is we had a place to stay and a great venue with a completely empty space.
Three artists went out there together. I think we drove like 16 hours or so because of all the potty breaks. And we got lost a couple of times.
Now it is just Lisa and me.
We really make a terrific team.
And that is really important. We each have our roles that we play. Lisa is in charge of transportation and booth logistics, and I am in charge of RV stuff and making coffee😍
One of us is ALWAYS in our booth which is really important. We help each other out.
We are there from 9 - 6 every day. For 10 days straight.
With 2 days of traveling and 4 days of set up, that makes 16 days straight of work. We do get to get out and about some to shop and eat!

Third, you have to be prepared to make nothing.
This is an expensive show.
Really expensive.
Like I could be going to Europe for a couple of weeks expensive.
You must go in to a show like this prepared to either lose money or at the very least, break even.
Do not count on leaving rich.
Our first show out there turned out to be one of my best and I'm super blessed that I have established a clientele.  But, it doesn't always work like that. There are many vendors who don't have great shows for one reason or another and don't come back.

Fourth, the set up.
Y'all.  It is absolutely grueling.
And I'm serious.
We get there 4 days early.
Walls have to be built and covered with fabric, lights have to be hung, fans installed, tables for items set up, then finally art has to be hung.
Booth has to be all fluffed up.
All of this is done usually when it's over 100 degrees.
We show under a tent that is floored and have to rely on fans to be half way comfortable.

This was our first season.  Our walls looked HORRIBLE and we decided to paint them....115 degrees heat index.
I just don't know what we were thinking because covering them with drop cloths is SO much easier and it looks SO much better!
🤪😳
Now our space looks like this:







Better huh?

Tearing everything down is MUCH easier and is done in an afternoon.  We then have an exhausting celebratory dinner.
Then we head home, unload, and crash for a month.

Now, let's back up a bit.
For the entire month before this show I go into high gear.
Super high.
I usually do 5 to 7 shows a year and Roundtop is the most difficult by far to prepare for.

I have to prepare for A LOT of inventory. This season I am bringing 35 canvases, 18 pieces under glass, 14 acrylic standoff pieces, about 100 of my 38.00 minis, and my jewelry line CHUNK. All of that has to be wrapped and protected for travel.
Along with that we have the stuff for set up.  All the tools, drop cloths, ladders, chairs. Then clothes (usually have to change 2x a day), bedding, cooler, etc. etc. etc.
So basically, that is one rough month.
I paint full time so I try to spread my time out as best I can.
I also frame all of my work myself.
As a self diagnosed OCD person with ADD, I have trained myself to stay focused for days once I get started.
It's the getting started part that's hard. It's just simply overwhelming.
Really, I like to play and enjoy my grandkids and travel so I basically only work part time.  It just feels like full time.

Have I left you wanting to show at Roundtop or not?

Again, whether you show there or just go, it is truly THE MOST FUN YOU WILL EVER HAVE!

Have a terrific day y'all!
The Arbors at Roundtop opens in ONE week!!!!

xxoxoxoox
kb

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find Mexican pottery San Diego  Mexicanartbyhand is one of the most trusted shop where you can buy wholesale Mexican and Talavera pottery in San Diego & Los Angeles. Shop online authentic, handmade ceramics, painted in the Talavera style, including jarras, salsa dishes, serving plates and more.

    Visit Now:- https://www.mexicanartbyhand.com/products/talavera

    ReplyDelete