Thursday, September 19, 2019

Selling Your Own Art

Can be terrifying.
A little like singing in front of an audience.
Or modeling.

Doing anything that puts you ''out there'' is hard.

And there are LOTS of painters that simply will not do it.

For me, it is super important to sell my own art.
I absolutely love it.
I get to meet new people, help them with their design, understand the emotion the painting draws.
but....
I'm not going to lie, it can be scary.
When people walk through your space they are not always quiet about their comments.
I've heard....
"I could paint that! I'll take a picture"
(that's a pretty infuriating one)
"Did you see the price on that?" OMG
"I wonder if so and so could paint that for me I know she wouldn't charge that much?"
"I bet that didn't take long to paint, and she's charging THAT for that?"
(then they ask how long it takes to paint a painting)

see the Angry Bird at the top? That was not intentional😂

I'll use this painting as an example.
While it may look like a hot mess to some, it was SO incredibly difficult to paint.
How many times do you see an abstract and think "I could paint that"?
I always say, try it! Because chances are it's A LOT more difficult than you think.

Then there's the deciding factor.
Sometimes I work with people for hours trying to make a decision.
But I get it! Buying original art is a huge decision and not one to take lightly!

I have a beautiful favorite friend who could probably buy what ever type of art she wants for her home.
She chooses to only buy art from people that she has met (and likes)
I LOVE THIS!!
She says that she thinks of the artist when she walks into her rooms and it makes her happy!

As I've gotten to be 60, I've adopted her concept.  But, I've taken it to a different level. The ONLY stuff I buy is from people that I like. If they don't impress me with a positive attitude then it's a no go. Speaking of positive attitude my friend and AMAZING painter Mary Gregory shows near me at The Arbors.

her structures are SO good!

To say I'm impressed by her is an understatement.
Y'all, not only is she a wonderful painter, she is also a wonderfully sweet human, and an amazing business woman!
I love listening to her instastories.
SO calming with her beautiful southern voice.
My darling friend Salley and I were talking about her the other day because Mary also offers an online art class. Salley is taking her course and I'm blown away at what Salley has painted!!! SO good!

Back to selling your own art.
You must have thick skin.  Period.
It's not easy but it is SO incredibly gratifying and personally good for my soul.
I love that a piece of me can be hung in someone's home that I don't really know! I hope the piece will bring joy and beauty into their life!
That is why I sell my own art.

Have a terrific day y'all!
xoxoxoxo
kb


No comments:

Post a Comment