Thursday, October 17, 2019

Parents

As a 60 year old (and an almost 64 year old husband)
we are learning so very much about aging parents.
Aside from my mom who passed away about 8 years ago we have been so blessed with having healthy parents.
Until recently when my husband's mom developed a very sudden case of dementia.
It was like wham. A shelf broke.
This is a world that we have had to take a crash course in.
It's also something everyone (probably about age 50 or younger) should research and know about.
Your aging parents.
Because, let me tell you, like I said, we have been lucky.  Very, very lucky, but many, many of my friends and family have not. I have many friends and family members who are dealing with Alzheimer's.  And trust me on this....Alzheimer's and dementia is a long hard haul and takes such a toll on loved ones.

One thing I have learned is to always just agree with the affected person.
And remember....they do not want to be this way.
Just like a person with a mental health issue.
This is NOT THEIR CHOICE.  THEY DID NOT ASK FOR THIS.
They have no say so in the matter and you simply have to pray for patience.

So....my daddy.
He's 86 and really in pretty good health, except for his back which hurts him ALL THE TIME, and he can't hear.
Which is a problem (for me) because I'm not real patient with yelling into a phone. So I just don't call.
I'm SO very ashamed of that fact.
So....we are working on getting him a phone and teaching him how to text....hopefully.

Anyway.
I have this favorite book.
It was my grandmother's favorite book and she read it to me when I was little.
"The Velveteen Rabbit"
you've heard of it I'm sure.

Let's back up a bit.  I'm a bit obsessed with an app on my phone called "Calm". Trust me, this is the best app purchase you will ever make in your life if you have sleep issues. (like me)....it's 4:12 a.m. and I've been up since 3 a.m.....
I will wake up but can't listen to the app unless I use an ear bud and that hurts.  I don't want to wake "W" up, so I just get up....and blog.

Back to Calm.
They have sleep stories.
From taking you on a trip through the lavender fields in Provence, to a cruise on the Nile, to South Africa's Blue Train.
Y'all. I absolutely love this app.

But, my favorite is this woman who recites The Velveteen Rabbit.
It actually makes me cry myself to sleep.

Why?
Read these words.
Has there every been a more poignantly written paragraph?
How many times do we look at our parents and they are loosing their eye site or getting shabby or loose in the joints and their hair is falling out?
They've loved us, we've loved them until they are Real.
Being a parent means you can't break easily or cannot have sharp edges.
You have to be strong and not carefully kept.
Life is just that way.
Yesterday, I got to treat my daddy to lunch.
Boggsy is here with us for the week and my dad got to visit with him.
Just love your parents.

That's all!
Have a terrific day y'all!
xoxoxoxox
kb



1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Nice blog!
    Come And Get Free Beautiful Animated Gifs For Your Blog.

    ReplyDelete