Sunday, June 23, 2019

Summer Surprise 2019


Summer Surprise 2019

Well....I have been told by my oldest g-daughter that I need to start blogging again!
The fact that she reads my old blogs warms my heart
(even if she's the only one who reads them😂)

Blogging is hard.  And I was a little obsessed for the 8 or so years that I blogged almost every. single. day.

But I'm going to try to do better!
It's kinda like a journal for me.
You know, recipes, pictures, thoughts, etc....etc....etc....
And well, if Evers says she wants me to start back
then there ya have it!

SO....
We will start with our 5th annual Summer Surprise!

What is Summer Surprise anyway?

"W" and I started this 5 years ago.  We take all the grandkids (over 3 and potty trained) on a surprise trip.  No one knows when (except the parents) or where we are going (even the parents don't know) (normally-except for this year)

Per our decision, it has to be cost effective, has to be within driving distance, has to involve state parks, has to be educational, and has to be adventurous.
I've also (since I am trying to add a "green" element to my almost 60 year old wasteful body) trying to teach the g-kids about conservation issues.

Some years we have stuck to that, others not so much.
But, we have stuck to the State park thingy.

So, Saturday we went to Montgomery, Alabama for the wedding of my handsome nephew and his beautiful new wife.  It was a perfect 12:30 wedding, which also set us up for perfect timing for SS.

Here was after the wedding in the packed to the gills car.
I really don't know how we got everything in the car.
Next year when Bear turns 3 I think we may be renting a van😳.
I packed all of them goodie bags for the LONG drive.
We stopped in Tallahassee, Florida overnight.
I would give our dinner at Steak and Shake a big fat ZERO on the 
1 - 5 scale because 4 tired kids and 2 tired adults really didn't need a 1 1/2 hour dinner. Fast food (really?) We will never eat there again.

So....The next day we headed down to Ocala, Florida to get my state park fix in.
Silver Springs



SO beautiful and great! The glass bottom boat ride was just so fun and the perfect stop to break up the ride and have some lunch.

SO...back in the car!
It was only 1 1/2 hours to our destination but the real fun started the next day (Monday)
But first, a stop to eat at what is it? The Disney Kingdom or something like that.
At any rate, we
had to get hats.
Mine says "I'm so fly I Neverland"
So clever don't you think?😂😂😂🤪
On Monday.....
We went somewhere I said I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, in my whole life go back.
But, grandparenting life has a way of biting you in the buttocks right?
My girls went to Disney EVERY single year for dance and cheerleading competitions (I think maybe 6 years in a row?  and so after that....I was totally over Disney world.

But, here I/we go! Back to the Magic Kingdom


This was the Philharmagic show. I love a 4-D show.

The BEST part of the day was when we decided to go to the restaurant Uno.
WE. WERE. EXHAUSTED.
PERIOD.
I mean like non other.

So....we wanted a quick pizza.
It was quick, but, at the end of dinner 
THE MOST MAGNIFICENT BALLOON ARTIST CAME TO OUR TABLE.
Y'all.
As an appreciator of art and anything artistically related, this guy was simply AMAZING.

The kids told Miquel what they wanted and just check this out....
I'm pretty sure he could have replicated me if I had asked....but I digress.

So....a little background on Miquel.
First of all he is ONLY at Uno - Lake Buena Vista on Mondays so if you go, just know you have to go on Monday to see him work his magic...
He is from Venezuela and has been in the US for 3 years.
Came to get away from the horribleness down there.
He has an engineering degree but could not find a job in his field so he started making balloon art.
AMAZING HUMAN.

Now, back to the resort where we stayed.
BEST. PLACE. EVER.
And economical for 6 people.
The Vistana Sheraton Resort
2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, and kitchen.
oh, and the most important thing.
A washer and dryer.
(I'm a washaholic)
Short drive to all things doable in Orlando
and remember the economical part of our SS decisions?
Well, we had Marriot points but I think it's only about 250.00 or so a night.
Really, who needs to stay in the parks anyway?

So....the next day we laid back and did one of the I don't even know how many pools, slides, putt putt courses or whatever your heart desires to do.
We chose the pool.
Perfect.
After we had enough of that, "W" took the kids to the slides and I took myself to the outlet mall.
OMG.
I mean, Ted Baker sales were unreal.  Ferragamo shoes? 1/2 of the price at Neimans.


I'm all about some shoes but since I'm simplifying my life, I refrained.....
Thank God.
I took these pics to send to my sister since she's a designer shoe um. person.
But...I did invest in a few Ted Baker scarves💪🏻

So, the next day we went to SEA WORLD!!!!
FUN. FUN. FUN.
The kids ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.
And, I got my education fix with the kids learning all about the sea animals.





The shows were just amazing!
And the rides, y'all.
First of all get the quick que (we were leaving at 3 so it was a must)


best. picture. ever.
Henry was safe and not traumatized I promise.
And no one threw up🤮
5 minutes in to our trip home H was out cold.
bless his sweet heart. He hung with the best of them!

We made it to my hometown in South Alabama pretty late and stayed there so we could see the newest member of the Boggs clan!


One day this lil guy will get to go on Summer Surprise too!

SO....back home we went!

All in all Summer Surprise was a HUGE success!
We can't wait for the two other B kids to be able to join us.
We are already trying to decide what to do for next year!

Please comment with ideas! Cause we're kinda running out of them!

Have a great day y'all!
xoxo
kb












3 comments:

  1. Coolest grandmother ever! Miss seeing you, Kendall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just told that you had posted a new blog post and ran to my computer to read it!!
    Love you Gigi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea but it is a lot like this year’s - but it’s so good I think it should be a summer surprise sometime!
    The aquarium where Hope the dolphin from the movie Dolphin Tale (PERFECT grandchild movie) lives along with lots of marine life they have rescued. It’s a fabulous place I am determined to visit - you can follow them on IG. It’s nothing like the Atlanta aquarium - much more focused upon education and hands on exposure.... and then Bush Gardens is right there along with state parks ����. Another great idea is St augustine - I can’t type everything but I was like a little kid on our day there a few years ago...... but if you go I definitely have tips! Also I feel like cape canaveral or the one in Huntsville would be great to experience at some point.....

    ReplyDelete