Saturday, June 28, 2014

Let's Go Back in Time!

When I was oh I guess 10 and 11, my mother got on a kick to make homemade jam and preserves.  I actually think it was a reason to get us out of the house in the summer because (with there being 4 of us) we drove her nuts.  She made us go pick the wild blackberries that grew about a block down from our home.  

The big fat juicy berries grew in abundance around a railroad track.

Those summers were fun at first but I quickly remember getting SOOOO tired of picking those little suckers and was SO glad when the blackberry picking season was over.
Why?
Well, because I grew up in the deep south.  First is was HOT.  And, the wild blackberries were covered in stickers.  On top of that we were sure to come home with either a good case of poison ivy or chiggers.
And if you've ever had either, trust me, you don't want them.
Why in the world did my mother insist that we go pick them?
Beats me!  Because she was the one who had to take care of us.

I can honestly say that since those summers I have never, ever picked another blackberry.
After a morning picking berries, we also had to shuck corn and shell peas.
Wow.  

Thinking back on that, it brings a fond memory.  It makes me kind of sad that I never did that with my kids.
or rather, made them do that for me. wink.

Anyway, now picking your own fruit and veges is a "cool" thing to do.

So.  I decided to find a "pick your own stuff" place in Georgia.

Sweet "W" was not really as excited as I was about this task.  
First of all it was a serious hour from where we live in Atlanta.  
in McDonough, Georgia.
Still.  I was gung-ho and he being the wonderful hubs that he is agreed to take me.
I couldn't wait to take pics of us doing this, to show everybody how "cool" we are.
Hey, we picked our own berries.  We are so "uber" cool.
After battling a let me tell you...RIDICULOUS traffic situation, 1 1/2 hours later, we made it to Southern Belle Farm in McDonough.
And let me tell you, 3/4 of the way there I wanted to turn around and go home.  But, by that time "W" was on board and refused to turn around.  
I was sure it was because his favorite BBQ place was nearby.

Anyway, by the time we got there hardly anyone was there pickin. 
We drove up to this beautiful farm with silos surrounding the log fence surrounding the property.
Y'all.  Just a beautiful place.




Since I quickly realized that my camera battery was dead, I had to resort to the cell phone.
We drove down the red dirt road until we came to a quaint little shack where we got our buckets.
An extra little surprise was a grove of peach trees
 sitting on the property!  
"W" immediately went straight for those.
I went over to the blackberries to sufficiently fulfill my childhood memory.
and yes.  I did.
The difference?
No stickers!  No poison ivy.
and
no chiggers....(I don't think).








50.00 and 1/2 tank of gas later, this is what we got......


I had to take a selfie to prove to myself that I did this :)



To top the day off, they serve you homemade Peach Ice Cream!
"W" quickly sent this picture to the kids.
They were like "YOU MADE HOMEMADE PEACH ICE CREAM"!
and....
guess what?  Next week for the first time ever, I'm going to make jams and preserves!

what a fun day we (I) had!


hope you had one too!
kb






No comments:

Post a Comment