Friday, June 27, 2014

Why are We SO Quick to Judge?

Okay.
I've been putting off writing this blog this whole week.
The news in Atlanta this week has been HORRIBLE y'all.
Here is what has happened in this last week.

1) A man left his 22 month old in a smoldering car to die.
(notice I didn't say "accidentally" nor did I say "intentionally")

2) Yesterday a 23 yr. old man bumped the back of a car.  When the lady got out of the car to check the damage, he pinned her between the front of his car and her bumper.  His foot stayed on the gas pedal until the grandmother died.  Right in front of her daughter and 4 year old grandchild.

3) An ex Georgia Tech football player and his wife imprisoned his teenage son in their home for over a year.  He was locked in a small room well equipped with a box spring and a plastic jar to be used as a toilet.  He was the oldest of 10.

Wow.
That's just a smidgen of the bad news Atlanta had to report this week.

But, I want to talk about the first story.
The one that we don't have complete facts about.
The one that has grey area.  The one that has holes.  The one that has witnesses who saw a completely distraught father upon finding his son.

This is a controversial story.  
Big Time.
and y'all should read some of the comments from people.

I have never in my life seen so many stones thrown.
You know.  When my kids were growing up I cannot tell you how many parents I heard say "oh, that would NEVER happen to me" or "my kid would NEVER do that"
really?
"W" and I would just laugh.
Because stuff DOES happen to you.  And usually it happens to those people who think it would NEVER happen.

I don't know this man or his family.  I do know people that know him.  I also know that if there is a sliver of doubt as to his guilt, I'M not throwing that stone.

The news stations in Atlanta have been the worst.  One in particular this week had a judge on that had her facts all convoluted.  It infuriated me.

Look.  I agree that the law enforcement should do everything in their power to get to the bottom of this and make sure that this was not a mistake.
Because leaving a child in a hot car COULD be a way to kill a child and get away with it.
I get that.
oh, and I know that he googled "how long does it take to kill a dog in a hot car"
you know what?
I googled something very similar to that last week after hearing a story about a woman who left her 5 dogs in a hot car in South Alabama.
And yes, I know that he went back out to his car at lunch to put something in it.  
Wonder if he was on his cell phone? Or distracted by something at work?

I'm just saying that people make mistakes.  Horrible, horrible, life changing mistakes. 

I'm NOT going to throw that stone.

I just want this man to get a fair trial, both in court and in the almighty court of public opinion.

Have a great day y'all!
kb




1 comment:

  1. I agree, Kendall. When raising my 3 children I was lucky to have had nothing serious happen to them but there were times when it was close and I would remind myself to slow down in life and to be more careful.

    ReplyDelete