Monday, May 17, 2010

A Trip Through the Delta - Part I

"A Trip Through the Delta"

This is where I am right now....
I woke up this morning to this......
......and an amazing sunrise

I'm in the Delta. The "Delta" of Mississippi visiting friends Sykes and Cindy Sturdivant. Now, being totally ignorant (I'm ashamed to say) of American History I had no idea why they call it the "Delta"..... This is my first trip here and I've heard SO much about the "Delta" that I couldn't wait for the moment to get here. Being born and raised in the deep south you would think that I would be a typical farm kinda girl, but I guess I'm really far from it. This is the first time I have actually stayed in a "farm" house. This particular one is over 100 years old. oh, and it is so beautiful. The original hardwood floors and their knotty pine. oh, and they even have a ghost!!! how cool is that? ut oh, I'm rambling....sorry!
Back to why they call it the Delta.
It's FLAT
and the soil is hearty. Oh so hearty that they can grow anything. That's what Sykes does. He is a 5th generation farmer here in the Delta.
Everyone here has a nickname. Like "Catfish" and "Tater" and stuff like that. Oh and then the double names like Billy Ray and Sarah Beth. (I love double names)
Some of our (Cindy and my) conversations have gone like this:
Kendall: "so what's different about the Delta?
Cindy: "well, people say we're just not right here in the Delta!!!!"
Kendall: "not right in what way?"
Cindy: "well, let's just say that you'd fit in perfect here in the Delta"

hummmmmm. okay....back to other things

first...we took a trip to the Bayou Bend Boogie who's members include
non other than Morgan Freeman.

To play golf.
or.,,,,uh um....try to play golf. mostly outta the trees (that's me)
Then off to go fishin...
but first....I'm lusting over Cindy's muck boots. I'm taking them home with me :) (aren't they cute?)
Cindy picked me up at the dock to fish at their little fishin hole
and we caught a cooler full a bream!
but threw em back in
Dinner tonight?
Sweet Dorothy cooks for Cindy and Sykes. She is cookin: (at my request)
Lemon baked chicken, fried pokechops, turnip greens, yams, mashed potatoes, field peas, fried okra, corn bread, tomato pie and homemade apple pie...
oh be still my hungry, cuntry food lovin heart.

Here's some of the spread of our Epicurean delight
Pork chops, chicken and whole fried okra.....I'm salivating just lookin at the pics.....
Sykes and Cindy laughing at me and my "eyes too big for my stomach"
Tomato Pie (recipe below) ..... I seriously couldn't get enough of it...
Cindy, with my new friends Becky and Sassy
4th of May Tomato Pie

2 28 ox cans diced tomatoes
1 box Ritz crackers
1 Cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon basil, fresh chopped
2 cups mayonnaise (Hellmanns)
1 large onions sliced and sauteed

Saute the onion until tender.
Blend Ritz crackers in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Place 1/2 the crumbs in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
Pour one of the cans of diced tomatoes, with the juice, evenly over the crumbs. Spread half the onion slices over the tomatoes.
Sprinkle 1/2 the remaining crumbs over the tomatoes and top this with the second can of diced tomatoes and juice, and the remaining onions.
In a separated bowl combine the Mayonnaise, both types of cheese and basil and smooth this mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on the top and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and browned.

oh,,,,also, a little "trade" secret from Dorothy. Add buttermilk to your mashed potatoes for a really creamy buttery taste. They were scrumpdeleicious. (it' a Kendall word)

Later chickies....we're off to More Delta exploring!



1 comment: