Thursday, October 17, 2013

A "Not So Easy" Craft Idea!

Being the "craft-a-holic" I am, I decided I would try my hand at making those little "wedding hangers" that Esty sells for around 30.00.
hum.
looked easy enough.
didn't want to spend the money when I knew I could probably make it myself.
Plus, I want to give 4 young ladies that I know are getting married engagement gifts.
and. it's more special when it's homemade (in my opinion)
So.
First I went to Container Store and found some EXTRA large wooden hangers.
I found 5 for 10 bucks.
Then I went to Home Depot and found the wire.
9 bucks.
(the wire is in the picture hanger section)
It is 16 gauge.
I also bought some glue
4 bucks.

This is what I did.
 First I laid out all of my tools.
I'm a tool girl, and I MUST have all the correct tools before working on a project.
I used an adjustable pair of pliers and my clear 5" wide ruler.  (those things are great by the way)
I also had a pencil and taped two pieces of paper together.
oh, and you also need a drill.

 I drew two lines 2 1/2" apart


 I then place the hanger on the paper and marked where I would attach the wire

 Then I drew the name in cursive writing.

 Starting about 3" in, I started bending the wire.  Y'all.  This is not the easiest thing in the world to do.  I thought this wire would be more pliable than it was.  It was kind of a pain in the butt.

 Trying to stay as close to the writing as I could, I continued to bend the wire following my design.

 Then I drilled the holes in the hanger
 and added the glue to the hole
 and stuck the wire in the hole until secure
 wiping the glue clean

a little bit goofy looking and couldn't get the "o" right, but I guess it'll do!
Level of expertise?
Let's just say a lot of patience.
Next one I'm going to do will be just the date.
I think I'll like that better.
Price?
about 5.00 per hanger.
okay....
***after looking at the "professional" ones on Etsy just now, I'm shuckin this one and paying the 30 bucks!  hehe!
see the difference? how the heck do they do this???

have a good one y'all!
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment