Friday, May 23, 2014


WoMAN of Steel

able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.
well, maybe!

Tuesday I said goodbye to my art studio for at least a month.
had lunch with two of my favorites
(thank you E for coming and staying ALLDAYLONG with "W")
treated myself to these:
and a mani/pedi
packed my stuff for the next two weeks.

Arrived at Emory Spine and Orthopaedics at 7:15 a.m.
What a prompt place.  Let me tell ya, this started out like clockwork.
They got me back at 8 a.m., prepped me, and by about 9:15 I was back in surgery.

The doctor I chose is Dr. Thomas Bradbury.
Now at age 40 pretty young, but I researched the heck out of him.
Remember, my mom died from complications from Hip Replacement surgery.
She had MRSA of the bone.

Dr. Bradbury has done extensive research on MRSA related cases after hip or joint replacements.
When "W" and I went to see him the first time, I cannot tell you how impressed we were.  He was excited about what he did.  He was clear that this was major surgery.  He explained in almost excruciating detail what the surgery would be like.  i.e. pounding with a mallet, drilling a hole in the femur, manipulating the thigh muscle.

Also, this surgeon does not put you completely under.  I was in a twilight sleep similar to what you are in for a colonoscopy.
For Total Hip Replacement....Kray Kray huh?
He also does the surgery from the front of the hip.
Much, much easier for healing.  I've got quite a lot of backside so he didn't have to cut through all that fat.

I had the cutest anesthesiologist I've ever seen.  She was just precious.
Why the world are anesthesiologist always so cute?
She literally injected the needle below my spine and wham.  I don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery.
Wide Awake!

man, I did it!!!! why all the anxiety?  This was a breeze!!! This was what everyone had told me!  Easiest surgery ever!

That afternoon, they had me up and walking and I even got to ride this little contraption
yee haw.
BTW,  I'm designing new hospital gowns.  Good Lord have mercy for Fathers.

so, Dr. Bradbury came in around 7 that night.
Poor thing, he was totally exhausted.
He said "I have to show you something".
He pulls out his iPhone and shows me my hip.  As in the actual bone while he was doing surgery.
(I'll spare you the picture)
The ball of my femur was cracked clear through.  Picture a piece of wood cracked through.  That was my bone.
Yikes.  No wonder the pain!
Totally validated my decision for having Total Hip Replacement instead of Core Decompression.  C D would not have worked and I would have been back in the hospital for a second surgery.  Those prayers you guys all prayed for me?  Thank you SO very much.  
God listens.

Anyway, after thinking I'm Superwoman and can breeze through major surgery, I had a little problem that night.

First of all, I had to fire one of my nurses.  Totally incompetent.  Totally.  I have never in my life seen anything like it.  This is not how Emory S & O does business I know, so the CEO will be getting a letter from me.
This nurse:
First of all had a horrible attitude which did not sit well with me.
I go out of my way to be as nice as possible to nurses.  They have a tough job.
I had to go to the bathroom.  I had to tell her to unhook my compression cuffs on my legs.
I had to tell her to get my walker, and to bring the IV.  (and I was the one on drugs).
then she left with out covering me up.  I realize that sounds a little "princessey" but I couldn't bend down to get the blanket!
This happened twice.
The last straw was when she did not wash her hands after taking me to the restroom and then forgot to turn my compression cuffs back on.  (those are to help prevent blood clots)
and, she was obviously out of it.  I mean much more than I was!  I'm serious.
Now, I don't ever cause a stir.
but, I was there by myself and I absolutely did NOT want this nurse taking care of me.
I called in the other nurse and the head nurse and told them under NO circumstances "C" was to step foot in my room.
I was met with a huge apology and was told she wouldn't and that was not how Emory S & O does business.  I believe that too.

All night long I had to pee.  I felt so daggum sorry for my nurse.  I'm talking I was up every single hour on the hour calling the nurse to take me to the potty.  Which also meant that I never went to sleep.
I finally dosed off about 5 a.m. and missed my medicine.
Well. at 6 when I woke up I was in pain like I had never in my life felt.  Ever.
OMG y'all.  It was just horrible.

Lesson learned....don't drink tons of water after surgery because they are pumping you with fluids.  I also totally over stimulated myself.

By 10 yesterday morning I was good.  PT came and released me and then OT.  We got our goodies...i.e. potty seat, cane, and walker and by 3:30 we were outta there!
about 31 hours after we arrived.

Today, I'm headed to stay for two weeks with sister.
Kim is a natural care taker.  

Please pray for these specifics for me:

That I will take it easy for the next 6 weeks and not try to overdo it.
That my typically high strung body will relax and that I'll get plenty of much needed rest
No infection.  Let me repeat.  No infection.
Complete recovery
that I'll be able to do this one day again!
This was us dancing just three weeks ago!!!

Have a fantastic day y'all!!!


  1. You have an amazing sister! Hope you heal quickly:)

  2. So glad that you've had a good experience (minus the nurse, I've had one of those one....). Get rest and heal quickly!

  3. They make "fancy" hospital gowns! There are people that sell on them on etsy & others that you can find in retail stores. Had one for both of my deliveries & they are great (and of course cuter than the hospital issued variety:))

    Prayers for an easy recovery!