Monday, August 25, 2014

How to Celebrate a Mermaid's 6th Birthday!

Evey is officially a "Mermaid"
yes.  I'm serious!
For her 6th birthday celebration, her dream in life has finally come true!

She wanted that mermaid tail SO bad, and she finally grew it.

I'll post directions on how to make below!
but first...the pics!

 she worked that tail y'all




Check out Evey's BRILLIANT idea for party favors!  Cheap and creative.  Evey came up with the idea, and Jordan made it happen.  (that's fish food attached)
(although they may end up being a #lifelesson for some of those little girls) if you know what I mean ;)

there were a few that missed the party....

that's the cutest lil butt I've ever seen.

she taunted us for an hour walking that ledge








I think it is safe to say that Evey's birthday was a huge success and she is officially a "Mermaid"!

Mermaid tail:

First you need a fin.  We got Evey's at Sports Authority,
but I found this one about 10.00 cheaper

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?subscribe=Y&ProductCode=7351&gclid=CMSM346mrsACFQQQ7AodumcAbA

Jordan made Evey lie down on top of a roll of paper with the fin on and she traced her body.  Then Evey and I took that pattern to Hancocks and found a Lycra fabric that she loved and that matched her swimsuit top.   (MUST be Lycra)

Then I just cut the fabric from the pattern that she traced from the waist down.  Right sides together, I sewed both sides and then sewed about 4" in on the tail leaving an opening to put the tail in.  This was like putting on a pair of full length Spanx so it's pretty tough to put on, but trust me...like everyone who has endured wiggling into a pair of Spanx, it's worth it.

Once you get your Mermaid "Spanx" on, you put the fin on, pulling the fabric over the sides of the tail and the fabric just magically stayed in place!
Probably the easiest thing I've ever done.  And I'm serious.

Have a wonderful day all you "Mermaid wannabes"!!!

kb



No comments:

Post a Comment