Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Easy Rag Top Necklace

Sneaky preview
You're gonna see just how easy this is!!! (and cheap) (but no one has to know)
Start with an Anthropologie Target shirt....any color will do
 Here's the ingredients:
1/4 yard of ivory (or any color) satin (2.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby)
1/4 yd. of ivory chiffon (4.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby)
3/4" wooden beads (2.99 for a bag at Michael's)
 the beads....
 Cut 2 strips of satin 3 1/2" wide.  Oh, this is 45" wide satin
 Sew the ends together (right sides together.)  Trim and press
 Turn the satin in half (lengthwise) and sew across the top, turn the corner and sew lengthwise
 trim the seam, it should look like this.  Oh, leave one end open
 Now, I use a long plastic knitting needle when I turn long things, so now turn it right side out
 and press.  It should now look like this!
 here's the fun part.  Insert however many beads you wanna use.  I think I used 10 beads
make a tie close to the beads separating the beads between tying the knot
be sure and tie as close to the bead as possible
Also, I skipped about 6" and did another line of beads
 Here's how to make the little chiffon petals.
Make a pattern like this.  Be sure the stem is not too thin.
Cut as many as you would like on the fold
 It should look like this
 and just start tying them on. You don't have to do a double knot, just tie away!
 and the finished product!  Cute huh? And the raggier the chiffon gets the cuter it is!
 and then I added black chiffon to my cheap inexpensive black Target top
 and you can shorten it to make a collar!
and there ya have it!  A cheap Rag Top necklace.
Beats the 38.00 one I saw at my favorite store :)
Post questions and I'll answer, I promise!!!
have a great Wednesday y'all!

5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not talented enough to do this myself, but I'm in love with this necklace! I would for sure wear it with everything! It adds so much to a simple shirt! I'm very impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this this morning and went directly to HobLob after all 4 children were dispersed! I am on a mission to crank one out before getting child #4 at MDO in a bit! Also made your guac a few weeks ago and the Hubs & kiddos loved it! Love your blog, fun tutorials & recipes! Keem 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! You need to sell those necklaces!!! (or do TONS of necklace give-aways, hint hint! :) ) Those are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendall, I love your how-tos. It inspires me to dream about the day I will have time for crafts. In the mean time I'd really rather just BUY one! Those are beautiful! Are you selling them or just adorning your very own neck with them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. simple but very attractive. thanks!

    Siti from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete