Sunday, June 23, 2013

How to Sew a Pillow - a tutorial

Well....today J and E come home.
Just thinking about little Cate going home makes me tear up.
This has been 10 of the most wonderful days of my life.
and
as a little surprise for J, I made her some new pillows for her couch.
I'm really bad about going to my kids homes and thinking they need stuff and just getting it without their approval :)
so.
This morning while little Catiebug took her morning nap, I whipped up a few new pillows for J.
These are really easy if you know how to sew.  If you're a novice, you may want to just sew up 3 and 1/2 sides and then hand stitch the closure.
I like to put a lapped zipper in my pillows to make them look more professional.
Oh...and did I mention how much you save by making your own pillows????
lots.
The ones that I am making would have cost about 115.00 each.
Total? 460.00
I'm making these for 200.00 total.
That's a pretty significant amount of money for 1 1/2 hr. worth of work.

So, I chose this great yellow/gold fabric from Lewis and Sheron here in Atlanta.
For 4 - 24" pillows you will need 3 yards.
you will also need a 20" zipper.
I also chose feather down pillows.
And I chose to do knife edge.

Lay the fabric out.
 If you have a pattern like this you will need to make sure the design is centered
 for a 24" pillow, you need to cut the square 23"square.
 4 fronts and 4 backs
 put front and back together (right sides together)


 With right sides together stitch 1 1/2" down the bottom side with regular stitch length.  Then stitch with a basting stitch to 1 1/2" to the end.  Then change the stitch to regular stitching and sew to the end.
 press the seam open
 take your seam ripper and rip the basting stitch out
 open up your zipper
 roll out one side of the fabric slightly (as shown)
 stitch down one side of the zipper stitching close to the zipper


 overlap the other side and pin like shown
 turn it over and make sure the pins have caught the zipper
 stitch following the pins
 open up your zipper half way.  Then stitch the other 3 sides closed (right sides together)
 clip your corners
 turn your fabric right side out.  Poke the ends out
 take the tags off the pillow
 it's okay, the tag police will not get you.  I promise.
 now, stuff that pillow in the pillow cover.  Make sure that you get the corners of the form all the way into the corner of the pillow cover
 zip closed
 there ya have it!!!
I think she's going to be really excited!!!
oh, I will be more than happy to answer questions.
and
I don't sew these for anyone but family :)

have a great day y'all!
kb

4 comments:

  1. Sewing is a gift.....you make it look all to easy!!! Your creativeness is an awesome gift too....what talent you have!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sally!!! we miss you guys!!! Hope you are all doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a pretty simple project for an easy update to your space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Very Cool! I've been wondering how to do this technique for awhile, and these are great instructions!

    ReplyDelete